Identify Your Breyer | Home | Web Specials | Special Events | Model Horse Glossary | Site Index
Special Run Dealers
Below is a list of some of the retailers and other sources for Special Run (SR) Breyer models. SRs are those models not available through all dealers and are not listed in the annual collector's manual. Some may be listed on Breyer's web site, but Breyer doesn't always mention the goodies that they let slip out!
Mid States Distributing
Buckaroo and Skeeter
Toys "R" Us
Quiet Foxhunters Set
Sears Holiday Catalog
- Aldens - Now-defunct department store that declared bankruptcy in 1982.
- All American Quarter Horse Congress - The world's largest single-breed horse show. The show receives more than 16,000 horse show entries and will house more than 8,500 registered American Quarter Horses during its three-week schedule.
- American Girl - Retail and online company specializing in toys and clothing for young girls. Has sold horse sets with Classic scale Breyer model horses.
- American Royal - The American Royal is a not-for-profit, community volunteer-based service organization which raises funds to fulfill its vision & mission through endowments contributions, sponsorships and event revenues. They hold horse shows at their facility in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Ariat - This dealer in equestrian apparel had a promotional model available from November 17 through December 28, 2007. It was a new sculpture, free with $59.95 purchase.
- Bentley Sales Company - One of the first and largest mail order dealers, Bentley offered many exclusive special run models. The company still offers the entire Breyer line through its web site on ModelHorses.com.
- Black Horse Ranch (BHR) - Black Horse Ranch produced their own line of model horses, and in past years they also sold a wide variety of exclusive Breyer models. Karen Grimm, the owner of BHR, amassed a collection of more than 9,500 pieces, considered to be one of the largest in the hobby.
- Blockbuster - The video rental chain sold exclusive Classic and Stablemate models as a tie-in to the video release of the movie Hidalgo.
- BreyerFest - This annual Breyer event offers special run models for sale and offers them as raffle prizes and 'thank you' gifts for its live show judges. The latter two are of very limited run and are highly prized.
- BreyerWest - A live show sponsored by Breyer that is held on the west coast of the U.S. Not as large or as well known as BreyerFest, it is still a great opportunity for collectors who live out west to attend a Breyer event.
- Constructive Playthings - Online suppliers of early childhood educational toys, equipment, books, records, tapes, videos, art supplies, and teaching aids. Offered a special run version of the Paddock Pals Carrying Case.
- Enchanted Dollhouse - I believe this was a mail order company operating out of Manchester, Vermont. They specialized in miniatures and dolls from around the world and apparently closed in about 1999.
- Federation Equestre Internationale (FEI) - The international body governing Olympic equestrian sports.
- JCPenney - Breyer regularly offered models available only through the JCPenney catalog. See Parade of Breeds for a listing of the Stablemates sold.
- Just About Horses - Breyer's magazine offered models available only to subscribers. See Connoisseur Series page for details.
- K-Mart - This retailer has had models available in its stores that are apparently not available anywhere else.
- Meijer - A retailer in the Midwest with Breyers for sale in its stores but apparently not online.
- Mid-States Distributing - A variety of models have been released through Mid-States over the years. You can search their web site for a store near you, and some of their stores, such as Rural King, have an online catalog where you can order current Mid-States releases and other Breyer models.
- Model Horse Congress - The annual live show of the International Model Horse Association (IMHA) that was held throughout the 1970s and 1980s in the Midwest.
- Montgomery Ward - This department store used to sell Breyer models in store and through their Christmas catalog. The chain has since gone out of business.
- North American Nationals - NAN - Annual championship model horse show, hosted by the North American Model Horse Showers Association (NAMHSA). Models and other collectibles are donated to the annual auction to raise funds for the event.
- PetSmart - Offers special run models as well as selections from the regular Breyer lines through its website and some retail stores.
- Pottery Barn Kids - Retail store that has offered special run models through their retail stores.
- Quarter Horse Outfitters - Sponsored by the American Quarter Horse Association, purchases support the American Quarter Horse Foundation's Scholarship Program, Equine Research and Educational Outreach Projects.
- QuarterFest - A Breyer-sponsored celebration of the American Quarter Horse. First held in 2009 in Murfreeboro, Tennessee during Kentucky Derby weekend.
- QVC - This home shopping network has sold exclusive Breyer models in the past and still sells a number of regular run models through its online catalog.
- Riegseckers - Manufacturer of miniature horse drawn vehicles and handcrafted oak household furniture. They don't sell Breyers online, but do sell them at their "Riegseckers Marketplace" in Shipshewana, Indiana. They have also flocked Breyers in the past; not sure if they do it these days.
- Rural King - Sells Breyers, farm and home supplies from its retail stores in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, and Michigan and through their online store. Carries the Mid-States Distributing special run models.
- Sears - In past years Breyer made special run models available through the Sears Christmas catalog.
- Spiegel - A clothing and home decorating online catalog which has offered special run Breyers for sale. Not currently offering any Breyer products.
- Spruce Meadows Masters Classic - Equestrian tournament held annually in Calgary, Alberta.
- State Line Tack - Like Mid-States Distributing, State Line has offered exclusive models through its stores and online.
- Target - This retailer has sold Breyers in the past, including Stablemates reissued under new model numbers.
- Thomas Bainbridge - An equine artist who has done product design work for Breyer.
- TJ Maxx - A discount retailer who sometimes has models for sale in the toys section of their stores. Has released at least one SR model as well.
- Toys 'R' Us - This retailer sometimes offers exclusive models through its stores and online catalog. Regular run models are also available.
- Tractor Supply Company (TSC) - While the models released through TSC are not currently available online, the web site does offer you a way to find the store nearest you.
- United States Equestrian Team Foundation (USET) - Currently the USET is selling an exclusive model through their website.
- USET Festival of Champions - Annual equestrian event showcasing dressage, show jumping, endurance and reining.
- Walmart - This chain sells Classic and Stablemate models seasonally and has offered Wild Mustang sets exclusively through some of its retail outlets.
- World Champion Horse Equipment (WCHE) - This company, known online as E-Horse Equipment, sold an exclusive series of Midnight Sun models from 1996 though 2002.
This website, including all photographs and original text, is Copyright IDYB © 2001-.
It is not sponsored by Breyer Horses, which is a division of Reeves International, Inc.